Thursday, October 11, 2007

August 28, 2007 Letter

Mumzy: some people have told me they haven't heard from me(you) for about a month... have you been busy? Just hope everything is okay and you can get things back on track with all my e-mails. Talk to Ernie or Melanie about the blog... it's a really really good idea. :) Thanks Mom!!... Also, what's Brewer's yeast tablets? Some old guy in Provo told me a long time ago I should take one a day for I don't remember what. Is it really important?

Boy. Being on a Mission, having to be capable of teaching every principle imaginable to people who are spouting with questions is no piece of pie… mmm… pie… Let alone in Spanish. Sheesh! I've had to start all over in English just to get the right doctrine down. I've learned so much, just from all the basics. My testimony has grown so much bigger along with all my studies and experiences.

Oh, yeah, I was gonna tell you about this Jason kid we met a while ago while we were looking for someone that stood us up (what's another word for that?). We found out his dad was a Pastor of a Pentacostle/Evangelical church next door, and his whole family was into it, of course. We've had a few lessons with him so far… He knows this gospel is true… we've seen such a good change in him…(we have all even cried in the middle of a lesson, the Spirit was so strong) but he's afraid to abandon his traditions. He feels like it's a sin to read the Book of Mormon or go to another church etc. But then he just found out his father has had a Book of Mornon for years now. He said his father has read most of it and knows it's true, but refuses to leave his congregation…. wow. Tough stuff like this seems to happen more and more. Jason is willing to read the Book now. Slowly, he will gain his confidence and realize that he really does have his agency to choose good if he wants to. He's a great kid, so bright and eager to learn more. Poor guy's been cooped up in his little Evangelical corner his whole life.
There are some really hard, stiffnecked people here though. I was reading 2 Nephi 25-33! It's just creepy. Everyone should read it carefully… cuz it's exactly what's happening here. ¨A Bible! A Bible!We need no more Bible!¨ I love how Nephi always brings up the fact that his words are so plain and simple that even a child could understand them…no man can err… Wo, wo unto the Dominicans. My testimony grows stronger everyday…everytime it is challenged. A mission puts so much into perspective. We teach these hard-headed religious people, they don´t have any desire to even try to find the truth. We end up caring about their salvation a lot more than they do pretty much. They just don't understand. They sit in their steel bolted boxes wavin´ their big bibles around. It's so so hard to teach them. Usually we try to avoid the for sure tough ones, cuz we won't teach to much if they're not ready to receive… and they are a lot of those. Evangelico women always wear skirts, have messy hair, no earings or baubles, can't pick their eyebrows, and usually walk around with an umbrella, and of course, their Bible.
...I didn´t have much money to start with, and now I´m almost out... what do I do? Mumzy do you have any spare change? Alms for the poor...
Sunday there was a big stake fireside thing. All the wards came together for a program put together by the missionaries in San Cristobal. I got to sing! Yay! It was a neat version of I am a Child of God, and I translated it into Spanish. They also threw me in at the last minute to sing a solo too… I love show biz! Speaking of show biz… How's the CA Show doing?? Send me pics and let me know how crazy stuff is goin´ back stage and on stage. I miss those awesome days. :D Anchors away my boys!...

Well, I won´t proof read this. Too lazy. Sending love and hugs to Mom and Dad, brothers and sisters and buddies!!!
tune in next time... or else... Ha ha ha haa!
*ahem*
Sis. Julie B.

No comments: